Saturday 12 May 2018

Finding peace

A dog creates, transcribes, a new landscape for you.   Rick Bass, Colter: The True Story of the Best Dog I Ever Had

Jac does make travel different to travelling alone.  It means I am on the lookout for interesting places to walk and explore, where she can sniff and get excited about all the smells.  Where she can run ahead of me, nose to the ground with that happy tail waving in the air.  And that was the case even though this time I did the trip to Canberra in one day.  It was surprisingly easy.  Canberra accommodation was in a spacious townhouse: Cosy Duplex in Dickson. Great location opposite the Dickson shops, with a Woollies and so many restaurants, mainly Asian, so had a good dumpling dinner one night.  Accommodation was okay, basic facilities, good yard for Jac and comfortable bed.  

Jac behaved well as always, came into work with me which she loves, although on the Friday was a bit put out because we were joined by a retriever pup belonging to one of the team up there, so she was not the centre of attention.  From the unit, there was a good place to walk her along the canal, through an avenue of trees to a huge oval and a small lake area, all off leash.  It's getting cold and I was worried about how she would cope with the freezing temperatures in Canberra so did something I never thought I would do and bought her a coat.  

She actually seems to like it, and it made me feel better taking her out in the freezing morning to get rid of some of her energy before we went to work.




With the end of daylight saving, the sun is starting to set quite early so by the time we got back from work and went for a walk it was starting to get dark, that gave us the opportunity to enjoy the fading light and sunsets.  

Drove up to Sydney to see Em and go with her to hear Julia Gillard interviewed by Laura Tingle as part of the Sydney Writers Festival.  Julia was funny, thoughtful and so much more relaxed than when she was Prime Minister - wonder why?  Before that went with Em to Barangaroo for a craft market, and I loved Barangaroo, such a beautiful spot along the water with old buildings built against exposed rock walls.   I love the way we have discovered our waterways and make features of them.
 


















Had a happy experience in Sydney, had been walking Jac while Em and Sean were out and walking back near their house there is an Italian restaurant called Lucio's.  One of those good Italian places, beautiful fresh food and the owner and staff all speaking Italian.  Anyway they had a table outside and Lucio was out the front.  I asked if I could sit at the table and said I just fancied a salad and a glass of wine.  So had one of those classic Italian salads, rocket, radicchio, mozzarella, oil, olives and a glass of white wine.  Was so lovely, sitting in the sun, chatting to passers by and when I went in to pay he would not take my money.   There is good in the world.  

On the way back fancied a bit of nostalgia so stayed in Rutherglen, lovely little dog friendly cottage: Must Love Dogs.  Lovely courtyard, no kitchen, but comfortable bed, self contained with a small living room and absolutely one of the best baths I have had and a delightfully quirky shower.

Stopped at Morris winery then All Saints and stocked up on Muscat and Tokay which is apparently another name we may not be able to continue to use.  

Called in at home for a quick stop then off to Geelong for a 3 day workshop.  Booked what looked like a very quirky Prayag, unique experience in Geelong.  It's in an old paper mill, so along the river and has beautiful old buildings of stone and brick.  One of them is now a winery Provenance wines and there is also a cafe/gallery/music venue.  And so many walks - along fairy rock paths along the river to a big cleared area with lots of dog walkers and along the Moorabool River.  It was the most interesting Air BnB I have stayed at.  The unit itself had stunning rock walls, a coonara wood heater, and another little courtyard. It had an aura of peace, calm and creativity about it.

One of the river walks, the dam construction was for the Paper Mill
Winery
The rock walk

I had to leave Jac in the unit as I did not feel comfortable taking her into the workshop, but she managed, we walked for an hour each morning and again in the evening, on the last day I did ask if I could bring her in as we were checking out - and she was her usual well behaved self, just sitting by people and waiting for them to pat her.  The workshop itself was interesting, on what could have been a most boring topic of audits, but the trainer did a brilliant job at keeping us all on our toes, with lots of activities.  Did watch the budget coverage and Shorten's speech in reply which I thought was spot on.  Just wish they would agree to increase New Start and I would be happy.

Caught the ferry over to Sorrento and spent the night at Rye.  Had been a bit worried because the weather was stormy but it was fine, and Jac coped with the noises and swaying of the ferry okay.  Back home because my new lounge furniture was being delivered...   

This trip, even though I revisited an old haunt and went to All Saints and Morris wineries, I felt peace.  We went there first in the days when we would taste every wine from the sparkling to the ports and would be quite pissed after just a couple of wineries.  We'd lay on the banks of the Murray and sleep and we danced naked in the Chiltern Forest where we camped. That was before I went tasting with Val who showed me how to just focus on one wine like a shiraz and only taste that. 

I feel the circle is turning and I can see the past and appreciate it while I experience the present and be in this moment and find the joy in that.  The space away from Oswin St has allowed me to put things in perspective and avoid being so hurt by his family.  I feel incredibly fortunate that I have good friends who stand by me and allow me to vent about  every now and then, which also helps get it into perspective, but more on that next blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments from you help me know people are reading this and give me ideas for future blogs.